September 21, 2007

SAT Vocabulary List 1

List #1

Abase v. To lower in position, estimation, or the like; degrade.
Since I didn’t keep my grades up, I was abased to a regular English class.

Abdicate v. To give up (royal power or the like).
King George had to get ready to abdicate as king in two months.

Abduction n. A carrying away of a person against his will or illegally.
Kidnapping and abduction are crimes in the U.S.

Belittle v. To disparage; to put down.
It is wrong to belittle yourself.

Belligerent adj. Manifesting a warlike spirit.
Bush was belligerent towards Kerry.

Beneficial adj. Helpful.
Eating healthy foods is beneficial for the heart.

Benevolent adj. Kind, generous, doing good for others.
Volunteering for charity is a benevolent decision.

Benign adj. Good, unharmful.
Jane was happy that her tumor was benign.

Cajole v. To persuade; to impose on or dupe by flattering speech.
Don’t think you can cajole me into doing something I don’t want.

Candid adj. Honest and straightforward.
I love people who are fun and candid.

Capitulate v. To surrender or stipulate terms.
He knew it was best to capitulate himself when he found out about the consequences.

Captivate v. To fascinate, as by excellence, eloquence, or beauty.
David seems to always captivate me.

Dearth n. Scarcity, as of something essential or desirable.
In the party there was dearth of good looking men and I was upset.

Debase v. To lower in character or virtue.
I don’t think that tattoos would debase me as a person.

Decorum n. Propriety, properness.
My mother tells me to always show a sense of decorum even when there is nobody around.

Ebullient adj. Showing enthusiasm or exhilaration.
I was ebullient when she came out safe out of the surgery.

Efface v. To obliterate or destroy.
By cleaning up the kitchen I effaced all evidence of what I had cooked.

Effeminate adj. Having womanish traits or qualities.
The girl appeared effeminate even when she joined the soccer team.

Fabricate v. To invent falsely; lie.
It is said that when you take long to answer, you are fabricating.

Facsimile n. An exact copy or reproduction.
My printer is known to make facsimiles in a timely fashion.

Gamut n. The whole range or sequence.
There’s a wide gamut of flats for the summer.

Gluttonous adj. Greedy or given to excess in eating.
Being gluttonous is considered a compulsion.

Habitual adj. According to usual practice.
Do not make drinking alcohol a habitual activity.

Ignominious adj. Shameful or contemptible.
Stealing is an ignominious activity.

Inherent adj. Within one's nature; firmly established; natural.
She acts in a very inherent manner.

Jovial adj. Cheerful or merry.
My mother is a jovial woman and always makes me laugh.

Laudable adj. Praiseworthy.
Reorganizing the files was a laudable idea.

Longevity n. Long life; prolonged existence.
Longevity is desired by many people in the world.

Magnanimous adj. Generous in treating or judging others.
You don’t have to give away money to be a magnanimous person.

Malevolent adj. Wishing evil to others; mean-spirited.
There are malevolent people in the world, who wish you the worst.

No comments: