List #8
Anachronism n. something or someone that is not in its correct historical or chronological time, esp. a thing or person that belongs to an earlier time.
To assign Shakespeare to the 21st century is an anachronism.
Blatant adj. conspicuous; without any attempt at concealment; completely obvious.
He says he loves me but it is a blatant lie.
Capricious adj. changeable; whimsical; impulsive.
Today we had a capricious summer breeze.
Clairvoyant adj. foreseeing the future; perceiving things beyond the natural range of the senses.
I don’t like that show on lifetime with the clairvoyant lady.
Concise adj. expressing much in few words; succinct; to the point
I love when people are concise and still don’t leave any important details out.
Connoisseur n. a person with expert knowledge or training, especially in the fine arts.
She was a connoisseur of fine paintings from all over the world.
Debilitate v. to make weak.
The extreme heat debilitated him in the race.
Deplore v. to express strong disapproval of.
Many people deplore the war in
Digression n. wandering from the main path of a journey; a turning aside (of your course or attention or concern).
The digression from his career makes him upset.
Diminutive adj. very small.
The essay had some diminutive mistakes, but overall it was good.
Endearing adj. Inspiring affection or warm sympathy.
David has an endearing smile.
Eradicate v. to kill or destroy in large numbers.
The holocaust was an act that eradicated people.
Erudite adj. characterized by great knowledge; learned or scholarly.
Her erudite comments earned her extra points in the class.
Extricate v. to release from entanglement of difficulty.
I wish I can extricate myself from this heartbreaking situation.
Fidelity n. loyalty; faithfulness to promises, duties, etc.
You promised fidelity but it seems as if you forgot.
Foster v. to help develop or promote the growth of.
I am never ready to foster new ideas.
Inadvertently adv. without knowledge or intention.
I inadvertently threw out the piece of paper with your number on it.
Pandemonium n. a state of extreme confusion and disorder.
You just create pandemonium when you speak.
Plethora n. overabundance; excess.
Portend v. to foreshadow; indicate by signs.
It was so cloudy that I portended it was going to rain.
Precocious adj. characterized by exceptionally early development or maturity (especially in mental aptitude).
Laritza was a precocious child.
Scrutinize v. to look at critically or searchingly, or in minute detail.
She scrutinized his English assignment.
Sequester v. to keep away from others; take temporary possession of as a security, by legal authority.
He sequestered himself after his family problem.
Spurn v. to reject with contempt.
She spurned my gift even after I begged her to take it.
Unkempt adj. not properly cared for or maintained.
Unkempt hair and clothes give an impression of you on other people.

No comments:
Post a Comment