List #9
Accentuate v. to stress or highlight.
The color red really accentuates your skin tone.
Animosity n. hatred, hostility or enmity.
John’s animosity toward its neighbor was evident in their fights.
Appraise v. To estimate the monetary value of.
The antique painting was appraised at $5,000.
Cacophony n. harsh-sounding mixture of words voices or sounds.
I hate the cacophony produced by city traffic in
Cognizant adj. aware; knowledgeable.
Alan was cognizant of the dangers of playing with fire.
Copious adj. abundant; plentiful.
The body needs a copious amount of water each day.
Dubious adj. doubtful; uncertain.
I was dubious about passing the math test, and I was right, I didn’t pass it.
Enigma n. mystery.
I am an enigma; I always seem to get myself into trouble.
Instigate v. to serve as the inciting cause of; to provoke or stir up.
Instigating fights can get you into trouble.
Impeccable adj. flawless; entirely without sin or fault.
George’s writing is impeccable.
Loquacious adj. talking a lot or too much.
Manuel is so loquacious that people avoid him on the phone sometimes.
Ostentatious adj. showing off; pretentious.
I hate the type of people that just do things to be ostentatious.
Perturb v. to disturb or annoy greatly.
Mr. Smith was perturbed because he couldn’t sleep due to a party next door.
Precedent n. an earlier example or model of something.
September 11 set a precedent on how united we are in times of crisis.
Rigorous adj. strict, harsh or severe.
Sometimes the best way to learn is not in a rigorous way but in a gentle one.
Tantamount adj. equivalent to.
His angry speech was tantamount to a fight.
Tentative adj. temporary; uncertain.
The plans for the weekend are still tentative.
Ubiquitous adj. being everywhere at the same time.
We had a day of ubiquitous fog.
Unwitting adj. unintentional; unaware.
I didn’t know that by giving him money I was unwittingly helping him to buy drugs.
Vacillate v. to be undecided; to waver.
School and college aren’t good things to vacillate with.
Vindictive adj. seeking revenge; spiteful; malicious.
When someone hurts you, don’t waste your time being vindictive, just move on.
Vociferous adj. vocal; expressive in a loud manner.
Julia can sometimes have a vociferous manner of expression.
Volition n. will; conscious choice.
People act on impulses or volition.
Whet v. to stimulate; arouse; entice.
The smell of the garlic whets my appetite.
Zealous adj. enthusiastically devoted to something; fervent.
Some mothers are so zealous to their newborns that they would stay home from work.

No comments:
Post a Comment